Man depends on the nature for his requirement. For thousands of years the earth has been fulfilling our basic requirements like air, water, light, habitat, food and clothes. Our increasing demand of energy, as a result of our cultural evolution, development of agriculture and technological advances is also fulfilled by the earth.
The naturally occurring resources, which cannot be created by man, are termed our natural wealth. Those components of the atmosphere, hydrosphere and lithosphere which can be used for the maintenance of life are called natural resources e.g. water, land, forest , minerals, plants and animals.
It is our moral duty to protect all of them because we can not survive without them.• Save plants (Estimated Cost: Rs. 20000 per 100 plants) • Reduce noise, land, air and water pollution
- Sound that is unwanted or disrupts one’s quality of life is called as noise. When there is lot of noise in the environment, it is termed as noise pollution.
- Sound becomes undesirable when it disturbs the normal activities such as working, sleeping, and during conversations.
- It is an underrated environmental problem because of the fact that we can’t see, smell, or taste it.
- World Health Organization stated that “Noise must be recognized as a major threat to human well-being”
- According to the USEPA, there are direct links between noise and health. Also, noise pollution adversely affects the lives of millions of people.
- Noise pollution can damage physiological and psychological health.
- High blood pressure, stress related illness, sleep disruption, hearing loss, and productivity loss are the problems related to noise pollution.
- It can also cause memory loss, severe depression, and panic attacks.
Land pollution can be defined as acts occurring on an arearesulting in color change, fertility, and erosion. It is caused by waste in the form of liquid or solid.
Garbage disposal and sewage uncontrolled one of the reasons that causesoil contamination occurs. There are two methods of disposal.The usual method of garbage filling method and combustion method. Though garbage can is removed from the eyes and nose with inhalation of this method but without careful monitoring, both of these techniques can also be serious trouble for the environment. In addition, the removal of toxic and nuclear waste will also bepollution is caused. When toxic waste and nuclear contaminates the soil surface, then it will result in decreased soil quality. This will impact large to humans and the environment. Furthermore, deforestation will also cause soil contamination occurs. forest areas cleared for get the timber with a handsome profit.
Deforestation will cause the soil structure to be loose. This is due to the absence of tree roots to grip the ground. Consequently, landslides will occur and would endanger the lives of people who live near the area.
The spread of disease germs is one of the effects that would arise from the effects of soil contamination. Pest animals such as rats, cockroaches and flies are concentrated in the area and spread the disease germs to the earlier onset of food another.if flies or cockroaches eaten, next accidental human consumption vulnerable people would then in turn attacked by food poisoning and serious illness.
In addition, damage soil and its quality is the impact that will arise when the occurrence of soil contamination. Industry wastes and spills result from the carrier to land damaged and less quality. Poor quality land causes the plants or vegetables that are grown life with imperfect and less fertile.
Soil erosion will also occur if soil contamination occurred. Erosion is one phenomenon that often occurs in the country. It is not only detrimental to the financial and economic terms, but also threaten the security and human life, such as landslides and earthquakes. There are many soil erosion is threatened. Among human activities that can lead to soil erosion is cleaning and plowing hills serum resulted in no plant that can withstand the ground from collapsing.
Environmental education is one method that can be implemented to overcome the problem of soil pollution. Environmental education can form a positive attitude towards the environment themselves. With the awareness on an individual, he will be aware of the importance of environmental quality are maintained.
In addition, awareness campaigns can also be done to reduce the environmental pollution. Among environmental campaigns that can be implemented is please love our river campaign, recycling, and environmentally friend. During this campaign participants will be taught about the importance of protecting the environment, etc. . Media exposure time is also one of the ways that can be taken to address the issue of soil contamination. During this day, the mass media play an important role in shaping the thinking of all users. As such, with the availability of mass media exposure on environmental contamination issues, the public be very careful in dealing with pollution problems.
Any visible or invisible particle or gas found in the air that is not part of the original, normal composition.
Natural air pollution: forest fires, pollen, dust storm
Man made air pollution: man-made; coal, wood and other fuels used in cars, homes, and factories for energy.
- 1st smog related deaths were in London in 1873; death toll 500 people; can you imagine how much worse the atmosphere is now?!
- Limits visibility
- Decreases UV radiation
- Yellow/black color over cities
- Causes respiratory problems and bronchial related deaths
- Green house effect
- Global warming
- Thinning of upper layer of ozone
- Acid rain
- Indoor air pollution
- Conserve energy - turn off appliances and lights when you leave the room.
- Recycle paper, plastic, glass bottles, cardboard, and aluminum cans. (This conserves energy and reduces production emissions.)
- Keep woodstoves and fireplaces well maintained. You should also consider replacing old wood stoves with EPA-certified models.
- Plant deciduous trees in locations around your home to provide shade in the summer, but to allow light in the winter.
- Buy green electricity-produced by low-or even zero-pollution facilities.
- Connect your outdoor lights to a timer or use solar lighting.
- Wash clothes with warm or cold water instead of hot.
- Lower the thermostat on your water heater to 120F.
- Use low-VOC or water-based paints, stains, finishes, and paint strippers.
- Test your home for radon-a dangerous, radioactive gas that is odorless and tasteless. If the test shows elevated levels of radon, the problem can be fixed cost effectively.
- Choose not to smoke in your home, especially if you have children. If you or your visitors must smoke, then smoke outside.
Any chemical, biological, or physical change in water quality that has a harmful effect on living organisms or makes water unsuitable for desired usage.
Agriculture: by far the leader Sediment, fertilizers, bacteria from livestock, food processing, salt from soil irrigation Industrial: factories and powerplants Mining: surface mining toxics, acids, sediment
Estimated cost of awareness programme :Rs. 150000 (3000 USD)